Tuesday, January 23, 2007

They Fired the Wrong Guy

The Minnesota Timberwolves fired Dwane Casey today, and have appointed Randy Wittman as the new head coach. I've never been much of a Casey fan, but with the talent Kevin McHale has given him, I don't think 20-20 this year is bad at all. I don't remember seeing anybody picking the Timberwolves to make the playoffs before the season began, and Casey has them in a playoff spot. I've disagreed with some of Casey's in-game decisions and would like to see Randy Foye and Craig Smith get some more minutes, but I don't think there's any question the team has played better than the talent they have. I have hope for Wittman, but Casey was fired without much reason.

The wrong guy was fired today. Casey had very little chance to do better, as McHale has assembled a pitiful team for him to work with.

Check out this poll on startribune.com. At the time of this writing, 69% of Minnesota fans think McHale should be gone.

UPDATE: I just heard this on the Sludge & Lake show on KFAN and I agree wholeheartedly: If McHale hadn't blown two first-round picks in the Cassell and Szczerbiak deals, Allen Iverson would be a Timberwolf and Casey would still have a job.

No comments: