Wednesday, January 10, 2007

In Other News...

It has been reported that the Twins have signed left-handed reliever Randy Choate to a minor league contract. Choate will join Mike Venafro and Carmen Cali as possible options as a second lefty out of the Twins' pen in '07. The trio of Venafro, Cali, and Choate is similar to the Gabe White/Darrell May/Dennys Reyes trio brought in on minor league deals last spring. The hope once again is that Rick Anderson can turn one of the three into a quality option for the Twins' 'pen, and I can't disagree with the strategy. It seems to be a solid bet that at least one of the three will be a serviceable option for the club.

This leaves me to wonder where exactly the Twins stand on J.D. Durbin. I've heard this offseason that Durbin was the frontrunner for the final bullpen spot, as the Twins will likely lose him if he doesn't make the club out of spring training. I remember the hype of "The Real Deal" a couple years ago, and while he flamed out in his lone MLB call-up, the potential is still there. I'd love to see Durbin as part of the Twins long-term plans as a starter, but it seems his best shot this year is as a long reliever. I'm not sure where to stand on this one. I'd love to see Durbin stick around and realize his potential as a Twin, but I also feel like the Twins need more than one left-handed option out of the 'pen, with Gardy's tendency to use Reyes as a LOOGY.

Any thoughts?

No comments: