Monday, January 15, 2007

Ah, Homophones...

I found this yesterday and wish I had posted it then, because it has since been fixed. So instead, I link to a Google News search, where the headline is saved as the original. If that link no longer works, I'll just cut to the chase. I read a headline on startribune.com yesterday that read: "Illinois man peddles stationary bike for 85 hours". It has since been changed to read: "Illinois man pedals stationary bike for 85 hours".

When I stumbled upon this yesterday, I did think it seemed more likely (although much less newsworthy) that a man would try to sell a stationary bike for 85 consecutive hours than ride it for as long.

Of course, the headline has since been fixed, but it was like that on startribune.com for at least an hour yesterday. I'm wondering - since it was an AP story - who wrote that headline? Was it someone from the Strib? How didn't an editor catch it? Didn't I learn the difference between pedaling and peddling in elementary school? Ah, homophones... at least he wasn't peddling a stationery bike.

No comments: