Thursday, February 15, 2007

Twins Ink Cuddyer


The Twins signed right fielder Michael Cuddyer to a one-year, $3.575 million deal today, locking up the last of their arbitration-eligible players. The deal carries a $50,000 bonus if Cuddyer reaches 650 plate appearances. Cuddyer, like Justin Morneau, is not eligible for free agency until 2009, so the Twins have plenty of time to sign him to a long-term deal.


While the Twins stated their priorities this offseason as signing the heart of their order - Mauer, Cuddyer, and Morneau - to long-term deals, I think that a one-year deal for Cuddyer is the best option at this point. Cuddyer certainly had a great season last year, but I'm not entirely convinced he won't regress a little this year. I'd like to see more than one solid season from Cuddyer before making a long-term commitment to him. With Johan Santana's free agency rapidly approaching, the Twins have to be careful with their payroll. I'd hate to see them make a commitment to a guy like Cuddyer and then see him regress to his 2005 form. I do think Cuddyer will continue to do well, but I have no problem at all with the wait-and-see approach the Twins are taking.

No comments: