Thursday, February 22, 2007

Torii's Future

Over at SBG today, I saw this link to a Jonah Keri article on espn.com. I encourage you to head over there and check it out, because Keri is a member of the national media who understands why the Twins have been great this decade - and he's the only person I've seen associated with ESPN who isn't enamored with Torii Hunter.

A link in Keri's article sent me here, where Jason Williams points out that the contracts of Hunter, Luis Castillo, Carlos Silva, and Ramon Ortiz coming off the books next year will free up $25.2 million for the Twins. I've been optimistic so far on the Twins ability to keep Johan Santana around, and having that much more cash to play with in the offseason gives me even more hope. As Keri writes, the Twins have much bigger fish to fry, in Santana and Justin Morneau, than to pay Hunter (and in my opinion, regrettably, Joe Nathan as well) into his (their) declining years and risk losing an MVP or Cy Young.

No comments: